Uh.....put that crack pipe down!
Clean Eating Snacks
- The reason for snacking in between meals is to keep the body fueled all day long. This is important for several reasons but quite simply you don't want rise and falls in your blood sugar which leads to overeating at the next meal.
- Sometimes I hear people say, "Shannon, I wasn't hungry at snack time so why bother eating?" The reason is by the time you get to the next meal, i.e., lunch, dinner, your body has fasted for many hours and you will most likely eat way over the amount at the next meal. The other reason is keeping the metabolism and blood sugars at normal levels so it can work effectively at providing you fuel for your day to day life and exercise sessions.
- Remember kids, you have to EAT to lose weight. It's just a fun little game you have to play around with your body. Not eating=starvation=body holds on to fat because it loves you and thinks it's trying to protect you.
- The snack is 100-200 calories and should include a complex carbohydrate & protein.
Clean Eating Snacks
~Apple w/ Natural Nut Butter
~Carrots, Celery, & Hummus
~Pretzel Chips/Tortilla w/Bean Dip or Salsa
~Popcorn w/ 1/2 Protein Bar
~Lara Bars, Luna Bars, Power Bars (watch calories)
~Whole Grain Bread w/Natural Nut Butter
~100/200 Calorie Smoothie
~Soy Nuts & Small Apple
~Lo-Fat Yogurt & Natural Granola (Bare Naked)
~Small Brown Rice w/Sesame Seeds sprinkled on top
~Whole Wheat Crackers w/ Low Fat Cheese
~Dark Chocolate Square & Handful of Nuts
~Cottage Cheese w/Handful Blueberries
~Natural Turkey Jerkey w/piece of fruit
~Egg Whites/Baby Carrots
~Handful Almonds & Handful Grapes
~Couple slices of Lean Turkey & Whole Wheat Crackers
~Ezekial bread tsp. Natural Nut Butter
- A couple more helpful tips. When you eat nuts (ouch....sorry I couldn't resist) make sure they're natural, no salt, no sugar, RAW!
- Watch protein bars, they are loaded with calories. Sometimes I cut one protein bar in half and eat 1/2 for my morning snack and 1/2 for my afternoon snack.
- The snack is supposed to be small but fortified to help you get to the next meal. Sometimes people eat way to many calories at the snack time. Remember 100-200 calories is all you need.
Share your favorite Clean Eating Snack!