Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Saturday, January 23, 2010
- The reason for snacking in between meals is to keep the body fueled all day long. This is important for several reasons but quite simply you don't want rise and falls in your blood sugar which leads to overeating at the next meal.
- Sometimes I hear people say, "Shannon, I wasn't hungry at snack time so why bother eating?" The reason is by the time you get to the next meal, i.e., lunch, dinner, your body has fasted for many hours and you will most likely eat way over the amount at the next meal. The other reason is keeping the metabolism and blood sugars at normal levels so it can work effectively at providing you fuel for your day to day life and exercise sessions.
- Remember kids, you have to EAT to lose weight. It's just a fun little game you have to play around with your body. Not eating=starvation=body holds on to fat because it loves you and thinks it's trying to protect you.
- The snack is 100-200 calories and should include a complex carbohydrate & protein.
- A couple more helpful tips. When you eat nuts (ouch....sorry I couldn't resist) make sure they're natural, no salt, no sugar, RAW!
- Watch protein bars, they are loaded with calories. Sometimes I cut one protein bar in half and eat 1/2 for my morning snack and 1/2 for my afternoon snack.
- The snack is supposed to be small but fortified to help you get to the next meal. Sometimes people eat way to many calories at the snack time. Remember 100-200 calories is all you need.
Friday, January 22, 2010
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Monday, January 18, 2010
Friday, January 15, 2010
- As promised I would break down in smaller chunks the concept of "clean eating."
- Some studies show that eating breakfast is the most important meal of the day because you won't have a tendency to overeat later in the day if the body is fueled at the start of it. Starting the day with a good clean breakfast will replace the glucose your body has been fasting all night and will fuel the brain and body for the day.
- Interesting fact, adults who eat breakfast have an easier time losing weight vs. those who didn't eat breakfast were 460x more likely to gain weight.
- Following the clean eating principles you must include a lean protein with every meal, including breakfast. Here are some clean eating breakfast ideas to help you start the day off right.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
The Scotch MegaEgg
20 hard-boiled eggs wrapped in bacon and covered in sausage meat and breading, baked whole.
The Double Coronary Burger
A burger topped with five slices of bacon, four slices of cheese, two fried eggs, mayo, lettuce, tomato, and onion between two grilled cheese sandwiches.
Bottom layer of brownies, topped by a layer of chocolate cake and a layer of red velvet cake, smothered in Oreos mixed with frosting, rice Krispies, marshmallow fluff, meringue and chocolate pudding.
Friday, January 8, 2010
- I think most of you know how I feel about "New Year Resolutions." My feelings are mixed, on the one hand I'm excited, pumped, & jazzed about people making a decision to put health first in their lives. On the other hand, child please....you don't need to wait until January 1st to gain control of a healthy lifestyle and most times people stop by March because it gets too difficult. (rolling eyes) With all that being said, I've been asked a lot about what my advice is on "diets, nutrition, and how to lose weight."
- In the past I've talked about clean eating and what a huge fan I am. I wanted to touch base on my blog about the subject of clean eating. This is not necessarily a "diet" but more a healthy way to eat and lose weight at the same time. The simple and easiest way to explain clean eating is eating natural foods (God's food), nothing processed, combining complex carbohydrates and proteins at every meal and the food is broken up into 5-6 mini meals a day.
Example: 1800 Calorie Diet
Mid Morning Snack-200
Late Afternoon Snack-200
After Dinner Snack-200
- The key is to keep the body from "starving" until the next meal. This keeps the metabolism (your body's engine) charged, blood sugar levels regulated, and helps with overall health & clarity of mind, body, and spirit.
In the trainers library:
- The bottom line is I think people think they have to suffer, starve, and make themselves miserable to lose weight. This unfortunately develops a cycle of starve, lose weight, burn out, gain weight, starve, lose weight, burn out, gain weight....
- You have to eat to lose weight and keep the body charged throughout the day!
- I would never recommend something I didn't try out myself. This changed my perspective in healthy eating and helped me to be in the best shape of my life. :)
- In the next few weeks, I'm gonna offer more information about clean eating and how you can make in a part of your life very easily.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Saturday, January 2, 2010
Posted by Shannon at 7:46 AM